First Selectman’s Storm Update 9/2, 11:00am
Update on Hurricane Irene recovery for Friday, September 2nd:
CL&P power restoration:
- Power has been restored to 90% of Bethel customers; approximately 860 homes remain without power.
- CL&P expects to achieve 99% recovery by midnight Saturday.
- The company has increased the number of crews working in Bethel. As of this morning we have 6 tree clearing crews and 13 line repair crews. Rumors circulating on the internet that the company has run out of transformers are untrue. All crews are fully inventoried with the materials they need.
- Tree crews are working to clear all remaining blockages today. Line crews will follow to repair damaged wires and transformers.
- Line crews are concentrating their efforts on the two remaining main circuits that feed Bethel, which contain most of the homes remaining without power.
- Until Bethel is brought back to 100% power, town hall will remain open for water and hot showers over the weekend from 9am to 2pm Saturday and Sunday.
- The transfer station is open for disposal of storm related materials. No permit needed.
- New information: In addition to the note above, the transfer station has suspended all drop off charges for brush and storm related yard waste while cleanup from Irene continues. Proof of residency is required.
I will continue to update you with new information as I receive it.
Matthew S. Knickerbocker
Town of Bethel
Clifford J. Hurgin Municipal Center
1 School Street
Bethel, CT 06801